We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade processor

tazpafc

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

So i was thinking about buying a new laptop but have decided to upgrade my current pc instead. The thing is im not very switched on with pc,s so thought id post here so you guys can help me, basicaly i know what ram i need and whats the max i can have but im having trouble trying to figure out what processor to buy so im gonna try putting as much info about my specs here as i can to help you help me lol, not worried about graphics as i dont play any high end games, all i play is football manager so here we go,

Acer Aspire X3960

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2100

Multi-core (2 total)

4042 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Board: Acer Aspire X3960

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P01-A4 03/08/2011 (this is what it said under main circuit board)

and just incase you wanted to know the graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family [Display adapter]

So iv tried finding out the mother board and its come up with whats here and intel H67 so hope you guys can h

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You get your Drive Contents including Operating System to Other Drive you need at Least Acronis True Image and make an Image to a External Drive that you can then reload to the new one. This will also be a rescue drive if it goes down or you get a Virus

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Ok could you point me in the right direction of a hard drive i need,

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

FM isn't graphics intensive so don't see the need to upgrade that. RAM plus change of hard drive could make a difference.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Cool well iv got more ram coming tomorow so il have 12gb then but apparantly my hard drive is 7200rpm st3500418as - thats my hard drive model

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What size is your hard drive - 500 gb or 1Tb? How much room is left on the harddrive?

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

My hard drive is 500gb but something weird happened, my hard drive has seemed to have split so i have a c drive and a d drive and each has like 250gb on and on c my free space is 76gb and free space on d drive is 223gb

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not unusual for Acer to partition their drives with d drive being marked data. You could try moving photos, etc to the d drive to free up space on the c drive. This may help with FM.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Cool i could do that but i dont mind upgrading my hard drive either, i was gonna spend x amount on a new processor anyway so i think a new hard drive is cheaper, i think i need a 3.5 hardrive is that right? and does it just anchor on where my old one is?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not sure that a new HD will greatly help if you already have 7200 rpm. Freeing up space may. You can try and load a game and see what happens.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Ok brilliant i will try that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......