We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade processor

tazpafc

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

So i was thinking about buying a new laptop but have decided to upgrade my current pc instead. The thing is im not very switched on with pc,s so thought id post here so you guys can help me, basicaly i know what ram i need and whats the max i can have but im having trouble trying to figure out what processor to buy so im gonna try putting as much info about my specs here as i can to help you help me lol, not worried about graphics as i dont play any high end games, all i play is football manager so here we go,

Acer Aspire X3960

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2100

Multi-core (2 total)

4042 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Board: Acer Aspire X3960

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P01-A4 03/08/2011 (this is what it said under main circuit board)

and just incase you wanted to know the graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family [Display adapter]

So iv tried finding out the mother board and its come up with whats here and intel H67 so hope you guys can h

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Then if you want a decent CPU I would go for either the i5 2500K (around £160) or i7 3570K (around £170). I would put the rest towards a better graphics card perhaps a HD 6670 (around £60) or a HD 6770 (around £75.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

motherboard may not suport it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

support

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware Football manager reports on your overall computer performance and not processor performance. One of the snags with a large database is your hard drive speed. I note from Chronus' link that it is only 5400 and the speed of retrieve and write of data is going to be a limitation. I think that this plus RAM is more important than processor.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps when you run FM 2012 then it should show processor load.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And I will go with Bigger and Faster Hard Drive 7200 RPM speed at least

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus again So Woodchip you reckon it could be just a case of the hardrive needs upgrading? iv bought some more ram yesterday so im gonna have 12gb of ram and really all i do use the pc for is browsing, listening to music but main thing is footie manager so do i need a better graphics card or no?

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Ps how do i get my windows 7 onto the new hard drive as my pc already had it installed?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes I think will see a difference if you get a bigger drive and at least 7200 RPM. don't think you will see no difference with the memory

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes I think will see a difference if you get a bigger drive and at least 7200 RPM. don't think you will see no difference with the memory

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite