We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade processor

tazpafc

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

So i was thinking about buying a new laptop but have decided to upgrade my current pc instead. The thing is im not very switched on with pc,s so thought id post here so you guys can help me, basicaly i know what ram i need and whats the max i can have but im having trouble trying to figure out what processor to buy so im gonna try putting as much info about my specs here as i can to help you help me lol, not worried about graphics as i dont play any high end games, all i play is football manager so here we go,

Acer Aspire X3960

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2100

Multi-core (2 total)

4042 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Board: Acer Aspire X3960

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P01-A4 03/08/2011 (this is what it said under main circuit board)

and just incase you wanted to know the graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family [Display adapter]

So iv tried finding out the mother board and its come up with whats here and intel H67 so hope you guys can h

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is this your PC Acer

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Yes it is

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

According to that you have a Radeon HD 6450 graphics card, as you are not really a gamer that will do. Your motherboard has a socket 1155 so you have a pretty wide choice of processor upgrade to select from. You would do well to double your RAM as you have Windows 7 64BIt.

But if your PC is doing what you want it to do why do you feel the need to upgrade? and if you really want to upgrade how much do you have to spend?

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Basically it may seem stupid but all i really use the pc for is browsing, music ect but i mostly use it for playing my beloved football manager, some people have said the i3 i have is good enough but when i try to load large databases i.e loads of leagues and players my processor star rating drops from 5 stars to 1 and a half meaning i cant have large database else the game does nothing.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Could it be more of a memory thing then proccesor?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Add another 4Gb RAM, that should make a difference. I recently did the same, less than £20 from Crucial.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Iv just bought some more memory, bit more then £20 off mr memory

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus, Was only thinking of upgrading proccesor as when i play football manager my pc isnt very responsive when i load huge databases.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

As you have not mentioned your budget it is very difficult to know what CPU to suggest.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

my budget if i were to upgrade would be £200-£250

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes