We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Managing Microsoft software licencing

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having just taken over management if IT for my employer, I want to ensure that all my MS licences are OK. Unfortunately, my predecessor was an external company who merely provided the PCs with software preinstalled – i.e. no install disks and no licensing data.

I am now working through all the PC’s noting all software installed and all Product Keys, but my problem is trying to obtain those product keys from the software itself. It simply does not make sense. For example, right clicking “My Computer” and then going to “Properties” does not give me the product key – merely a product ID. Similarly, with MS Office.

So if the hard disk fails and I need to reinstall, I’ve got no product key to validate the new installation.

Why does Microsoft have to have so many different sets of numbers:

1. Product Key
  2. Generated validation number to give MS if it does not work automatically
  3. Generated validation number created by MS for you to type in
  4. Product ID

and more importantly, how do you get back to 1. If all you have is 4.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you download SIW it will tell you the license codes but you would need to do that on all of your computers.

I would wait and see what others think as there may be easier ways.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Belarc Advisor will also do it but, as buteman says, it will have to be installed on all of your computers.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Thanks guys - I was afraid that would be the answer - I was hoping for something else. I keep this thread open a bit longer just in case there's something out there we've missed.

I've also found http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/productcdkey_viewer.html, but - same problem.

Ah well - there's only 12 PC's

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

xania

Your Click here does not work for me for some reason.looks like my computer does not like Nirsoft.

Had a look at their site earlier and you would need the pay for one I believe whether it does multible computers at the same time I don't know.There is also Magic Jelly Bean which has been recommended on this forum before but I have not used it.

Not sure if maybe all of the computers would have the same keycode or not.

Best waiting for further advice.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

try again - the was a missing "_" before "cd"

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/productcdkey_viewer.html

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

still not working - let's see if I can do it another way. Type in #

http://www.

then

>

without the double brackets

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

stubborn is not the word.
Type in

http://www.

then

nirsoft.net/

then

utils/productcdkey_viewer.html

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'd be inclined to get SIW Portable so no need to install.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Is this what you are looking for? enter link description here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it was me I'd be doing a full Audit of all pcs and ensuring I'd got backup images so I could always restore each back to when I took responsibility for them.

Licences: ClickHere For five or more PCs Microsoft Volume Licensing customers have access to the Microsoft Volume Licensing Center (VLSC), where they can download licensed products, access product keys, and manage all licensing agreements online.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen