We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Significance of memory in graphics cards.

frybluff

Likes # 0

I note from graphic card specs, that many high performance ones have a relatively small amount of memory eg 1GB, whilst many, more basic ones, have 2 or even 3GB. Even the same cards, from different manufacturers, sport different memory.

My question is this: Does the memory of the graphics significantly effect overall performance, or is it "icing on the cake", only important to certain specific applications. If so, what applications.

Many thanks.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Typo in above post, should read "WOULDN'T be able to afford"

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Any card that has a couple of connections can run two monitors, the GPU does not need to be anything special. You could even just fling another GPU in without connecting them together and that will also enable two monitors to be connected.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. The GTX570 seems a more sensible choice, for what I want. A 670 is OTT, although I know which my grandson would prefer, but then he's not paying for it. At least I can cost the options. I did promise it would be able to run Battlefield 3, but looks like the 570 will do that, reasonably well.

I see green tick is still not working!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK