We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Friend wants £200-£400 Desktop, ideally XP but will settle for Vista/W7?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend's dad's xp desktop is 5 years old and is showing signs of dieing. Ideally he would want another one that is XP as he is 68 and is 'familiar' with XP but if he has to, i think he would use Vista or W7. Please can i ask for any links/advice on where to get one in the price range of £200-£400?

He gave me a leaflet from our local pc shop (who i hate) and there was a refurbished Dell on there for £180 which there are lots on ebay for £119. Say no more.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Slap bang in the middle of that price range he could get this Zoostorm from ebuyer with Win 7 installed or if he wants to install his own XP then pretty much the same thing with no OS fo £70 less

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Wow!! Thanks for that, on the other hand, an XP licence would be difficult to buy? And get drivers for? Or am i wrong.... (I am quite often)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Bugger. The small print says 'Please note that this desktop PC does not come with an operating system. Zoostorm recommends using genuine Microsoft Software and is Windows 7 compatible and not compatible with XP.'

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Buel

Moving from XP to Win 7 is not such a difficult move and, at 'only' 68 years old, I would have thought your dad would manage well. I didn't find it that much different and just had to get used to some small differences. The improved features, in my opinion, definitely out-weigh the inconvenince and it won't take long before he is happy with Win 7.

So, my advice (also a pensioner) would be to go for it. There will come a time when hardware and software won't be compatible with XP, I suspect.

Cheers

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I recently changed from XP to Win7 with a new laptop - did not take long to get used to Win7 - I say 'go for it'. BTW, I am 77yrs young!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Brilliant Nontek and AroundAgain!!!!!! Thank you so much!!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ps- I see it has W7 64 bit? 64 bit is ok? No compatibility issues?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, mine is 64Bit.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have two machines with Win 7 64 bit and have had no issues with either drivers or using old software.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Well the good news is that he has chosen the Desktop with W7 for £299. Thank you for that.

Please can i ask for any recommendations on a booklet of some sort to help him with Windows 7?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen