We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Xp, Vista or upgrade

manrow

Likes # 0

My 4 computers are running XP or Vista.

Are there compelling reasons why I should upgrade them to a later operating system, until at least I buy new computers?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

If they are all working fine, are secure and do what you want them to do satisfactorily, why bother?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Wait until your next new computer(s).. If you buy new ones now, you will get Windows 7 with a cheap upgrade path to Windows 8, but as Pine Man says, if they are OK for you now, leave things as they are.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Pine Man hits one nail on the head regarding security, Windows 7 is more secure than earlier versions. Your XP machines may not have the capability of running Windows 7 but the Vista machine will. Personally I would upgrade this one to Windows 7; you will find it will be more secure and run faster. Windows 8 has not been designed for simple desktop machines, to get the best from it a touch screen monitor will be needed.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

You asked "Are there compelling reasons why I should upgrade....."

The answer to this is clearly NO at this point in time unless either of these is true:

-- One wishes to run applications not supported under XP.

-- One is paranoid about security. XP will continue to receive security updates from Microsoft until (at least) April 2014 (see Extended Support End Date here.

As long as one uses a decent firewall and anti-virus / anti-malware software security should not be an issue in the meantime.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Mine all run XP one even dual boots with 98se. cannot see any need to change unless you want to keep up with the Joneses

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015