We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updating drivers, is it necessary?

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Pulling up a previous question placed last year, there was some disagreement about updating of drivers. DriverMax tells me I have 14 out of date,should I care?

The other program, Driver Manager led me along a path which I thought was free, only to be presented with a $25 bill for registering and no free option. That is now uninstalled. The general previous opinion was that updating of drivers was best from manufacturers sites but they don't always make it clear as to how to go about it.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Thank you everybody, I had wondered, when faced with a choice of drivers, which one to choose, I've always gone for the one with most downloads.

Sunnystaines, "you always get the latest driver" where from, Windows is straightforward.

All in all, You have answered everything I had wondered about, methinks I shall return the box to the manufacturers, Arbico, for a freshen up and let them put anything in I might need, but leave it alone otherwise.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Muergo

whats your motherboard make and model same with graphics card?

and we can post you the links

pcwizard a free download or specky from the makers of ccleaner will provide this info if you do not know.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

link to free pcwizard

http://majorgeeks.com/PCWizardd3846.html

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Sunny Staines, (cloudy and rainy) your link gives me "OOPS this link appears to be broken"

I have all the brochures on motherboard etc but have to find them !!! but BeLarc Advisor says it is ASUS Tek P7H55-M/USB3 rev X.0x Bus clock 133 megahertz BIOS American Megatrends Inc 0901.

3.35gigahertzIntel Core i3 560 Multicore (2total) Hyperthreaded (4 total)

Hope this means something to you, I know I just missed out (Jan 2011) on getting the i5 but going back to the dark days of December 2010 you all tried to resurrect my XP computer to no avail so needed another immediately.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Mostly I would tend not to update drivers unnecessarily.

But, in some cases there can be a distinct performance improvement with updated drivers. The Wi-Fi on my Samsung lappie improved dramatically when a new driver set was installed.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

muergo

goto this link

http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en

you will hava a choice of two option let the web page id your pc and go to downloads or the other option and enter the serial number [best option]

this should take you to your chipset, LAN,ann any onboard sound graphics you have

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

forgot to add do not update the bios if listed as it can be a bit risky if you make errors during update.

Like this post  
Muergo

Likes # 0

Thanks for comprehensive help, I will wait until I am fresher in morning to go into it as it looks a bit tricky if I choose wrong option etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer