We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Anti Virus programs views

feb

Likes # 0

Hi, I have used AVG in the past and am using Avast at present, but I would be interested to hear members views on the latest anti virus programs available for free!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

For me, you've used two of the top three - the other one worth considering is Microsoft Security Essentials. I used to have AVG on all the PCs in the past, but fell out of love with it and now have a mix of Avast and MSE. Never had any problems (touch wood...)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use Avira.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

avast free version - seems to get good reviews

Like this post
feb

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies, MSE seems to be getting some good reviews!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Been using paid for security suites for years until recently when I changed to Microsoft Security Essentials, SpywareBlaster and W7 firewall.

My PC flies along now with no problems at all.

Like this post
Cyberman1969

Likes # 0

PC Technician : I always tell my clients to have a full security you need ideally 2 programs:

1: Antivirus :- AVG Free 2: Malware, Spyware, Grayware, etc : Malwarebytes

never have more than 1 antivirus on your computer, they clash badly. You can install more than 1 malware program ,I would also suggest Spydoctor SD, please when installing Spydoctor SD dont fall for installing another of similar name ,it is verry easy to fall for this when following the download procedure ,just be careful what you click on.

WHY 2 programs: These days antivirus programs do also find malware but they are keyed to concentrate on just looking for viruses, I always find malware that the antivirus solution didnt find when using a malware program.

If you find that you have a real nasty virus that wont let you even get to safe mode ,never mind the desktop then you need to use a bootable antivirus program , nicknamed Bart, you can find these from AVG and Avira ,just google them, you need to download the ISO not the .exe, and you need to then burn the iso to a disc, if you dont know how to do this ,then google how :)

hope all this helps....

Darrell The Cyberman - PC Technician, PC Doctor.

Like this post
steviekm

Likes # 0

have used most of the above for many years but last year switched my stratagy . As most antivirus /security tests shoe as good as free antivirus etc is the paid for versions are better. By trawling the internet, over the past years or so I have been using ESET Smart Security 5 as well as ESET antivirus 5 (both latest versions) on a full 6 month trial period-one after the other giving me a full 1 year for nothing. Having also tried the top rated Bitdefender Total Security 2012 again available on a free 6 month trial (this dragged down my low spec machine too much) I am currently using (and very happy with the lates and up to date version of Norton Antivirus 2012 again on a free 6 month trial . This is currently available by goggling "sparkingdark website (for some reason this website won't allow links at the moment) and follow the instructions. The latest 2013 Bitdefender is available on a 90 day trial from the downloadcrew website, again follow the instructions.

Happy hunting all-all it takes is a little research but just remember to remove the old software properly (I always use the relevent removal tool as well as REVO) before switching.

SM

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Cyberman1969 - Darrell, friendly word of caution, don't advertise, you'll likely get banned and posts deleted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room