We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Current Date and Time problem in video camera

geedad

Likes # 0

I purchased a mini video camera ( F & H )a few months back, and whilst I am amazed at the audio and video quality, I just can't get the video to show the current date of the recordings. It seems to have an embedded date system showing old dates and times! As any of you know, this is very frustrating since the finished product always shows out-of-date data. Perhaps it is just me, but I have the manual which shows me how to do this, but it is completely baffling! Here it is:

" 1. Build a TAG.TXT under the root directory of the memory card. 2. Open TAG.TXT, write synchronous data according to the following format: {date} need space with new line 2009/07/22 need space with new line 12:00:00. With the next Power on, the device will check and analyse TAG.TXT, then set system time according to file time. After that the file will be deleted by the system automatically!"

I am assuming a little Chinese translation is responsible for some of the grammatical layout, but has anyone else had experience with this problem? If anyone has a solution, can you tell me click by click, please!! Thanks geedad

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This is entirely guess work – but here goes.

It wants you to create a .txt file – a simple text file with no formatting characters etc. Normally, I’d use Notepad for this (Windows/Accessories). It wants you to call this text file tag.txt. Notepad automatically appends the .txt extension.

It will then read the date and time from this .txt file and set its own internal clock from it.

So far, so good.

It wants you to create this text file and copy it to the root directory of the memory card. If this were a stills camera, I’m guessing that root directory would be called ‘DCIM’. However, it may also mean that it just wants you to place the text file direct on to the memory card, on a par with any top level directories that are on there.

The good thing is, you can try both – no harm will come of putting one in the wrong place, I wouldn’t think. You can copy your tag.txt file to multiple locations.

So again: so far, so good.

Where it gets tricky is in how it wants you to format your text file. Here, you may have to use trial and error.

Where I’d start is, on the first line of your text file, put 2012/07/07 (or whatever).

Then return, and on the next line

15:07:00 (or whatever) for the time.

So, as follows:

2012/07/07 15:07:00

Where I don’t quite understand it is in its reference to spaces.

It could mean it wants

[Space] YYYY/MM/DD [Space] HH:MM:SS

Again, some trial and error may be called for. See how you get on… :-)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The formatting in my post got messed up...

So, as follows:

2012/07/07 and on the next line 15:07:00

Where I don’t quite understand it is in its reference to spaces.

It could mean it wants

[Space] [Next line] YYYY/MM/DD [Next line] [Space] HH:MM:SS

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton .

Many thanks for your speedy and informative response. About the formatting - I have also experienced formatting difficulties with the Forum site. When I expect a line to go beneath the previous line, I press Return TWICE now to make sure that happens.If I just press return once, the text just follows the preceding sentence!

Back to the date and time problem with my camera.

First, I click on the "removable disk- k"

Then it shows "DCIM"

click again and it shows "100MEDIA"

click again and it shows TAG.TXT ( I must have entered that somewhere!)

Now, if I click on THAT, i shows "This folder is empty", and this is where the (confusing) data , I suppose, should be placed. However, I cannot get any further than that.

I should have put this in my initial posting, but was reluctant to put too much in an initially for fear of forum members not having ever heard of this problem.

I haven't tried anything else yet, and thank you again for your help.

geedad

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Date and Time Correction :- near the bottom of this Click here

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Download settime.zip from this Click here

UnZip it, run settime.exe, Select (Click into the circle Black Dot-it) TR800 (silver camera), Select the Drive (the Card on your Camera in the USB port, ie f:), Click OK, the file tag.txt with date and time off your pc is made in the root directory of the memory card..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...