We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Pc Windows 7 issue

fedex1969
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi Cronus, Ian in Northampton and all. Since my last post, I have taken possession of a shiny, new pc. (The one off Ebay, if you remember). Now, it was suggested on this forum to purchase Windows 7 independently, rather than it being pre-installed, to save myself a couple of quid. The new pc came with linux already on it. (I thought it would be blank). The windows 7 disc that came separately has 'Reinstallation DVD Windows & Home Premium SP1 64-bit / For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC', written on it. The disc came with an instruction sheet on how to install. It also said that it would work on any pc, even if it's not a Dell. I can't even get past instruction No.2. The instruction from the pc manufacturer says to change BIOS to boot from DVD first then hard drive second. No joy there, either. It's as if the DVD isn't being recognised at all. I think I've been stitched up with the Dell disc. Please advise.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Its the same company as you bought yours from. But please provide the link.

By the way did you get a COA number with your disk? Because you could try downloading and burning the .iso to disk and seeing if Windows 7 will install and activate with the COA that hopefully you received.

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

I've found original in purchase history, as link shows. It does show a DELL DVD, but I was mainly looking at the big, green windows logo behind it. Whatever, it should still work on custom made pc's, as stated. But clearly it doesn't. The only contact from the seller is the email above.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170867742012?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht898wt_1396

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Morning,Could you do me a favour and try and answer all questions? I did ask if you got a COA with this disk? If so you could try what I suggested in my 07:06 post, in which I see I failed to provide a link to the download site. Here it is.

Can you clarify exactly what you have tried so far?

You have changed the boot option in the BIOS to CD first?

You have booted the PC and what do you see, at some point it should say on your screen Press any key to Boot from CD or something similar. Are you seeing that? If not what are you seeing?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AFAIK the only difference between a DELL oem Reinstallation DVD and an ordinary oem DVD is the SLP product key.

If Dell DVD is used on a DELL machine it checks with the BIOS (for Dell) and doesn't ask for product key when installing. Also does not need activating as the SLP is pre activated.

If used on a NON Dell machine then it behaves like an ordinary oem install and requires Product Key input and Activation.

ClickHere for a handy Dell step-by-step with pics install guide that although does not cover installing Dell DVD on a non Dell pc, will hopefully go some way to demistify the Dell DVD.

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

Sorry I didn't answer your questions, Chronus. Iv'e been a little busy. I spoke with the manufacturer of the pc and he was most helpful. He prepared the same set as I've got and proceeded to walk me through the set up. We didn't get very far. It was his opinion that the DELL DVD wouldn't be compatible with my machine. So, the kind gent posted me another disc of W7. Iv'e just finished loading it on, (using the product key from the DELL disc), and everything seem fine. Now my only problem is getting a refund on the DELL disc. They would argue that I knew what I was buying, and besides, it states on the box that non-returnable if opened. How would I know if it works or not without opening the box? Idiots! To be fair, I have been sent a free copy of W7, so I'm not actually out of pocket. I'm now HAPPY!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Good to hear your sorted.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you've used the Product key from the Dell DVD then whatever W7 DVD you used to install is now a moot point.

It's the Product Key you've paid for, and as you're using it you can't expect a refund (providing it's a genuine key) from that supplier.

Anyway, that was really good of pc manufacturer to do what he did, thumbs up for him and glad you are now up and running :)

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you all for your advice. I'm by no means a 'computer nerd' but I'm trying. The advice I get from you guys gives me a better insight of the 'goings on' of a device that 95% of people take for granted. In a previous post, I 'POO-POOED' the notion of self building a PC rather than shop bought. Now I want to build my own, because I know if I have any problems, I know who to ask. Thanks again, Guys. (I nearly had a tear in my eye then. Like off of a crappy American teen film)!!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous