We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to complete installation of windows

maiden

Likes # 0

I have Acer Aspire 5680 laptop that had Vista Home premium running until I think I updated a driver that did not suite the machine. I bought the machine in Singapore in 1997 and brought it back to Uk and used it until it went on blink.

I bought Windows 7 and that also will not complete installation - failing in same spot. I then downloaded Windows 8 preview and again that failed at same place but this time it indicated that failed at 92% driver installation. Now I cannot update the drivers until I have Windows running. I have other test discs that enable me to run Windows XP in reduced apps and that runs Ok. I have disc that runs Linux and that runs Ok. I have checked out the HDD and wifi network and they function ok. Can anyone help please. I think it may be the sound Realtech driver but am not sure and cannot disconnect the sound card.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have you tried reformatting the hard-drive, using the installation instructions?.

Like this post
maiden

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for taking the trouble to read my plea. Yes I have reformatted the HDD several times. I have even gone to the trouble of partitioning the main C: drive into two separate partitions just in case there was a problem. Still no joy. I have of course made each partition active when attempting to install. Fails at same point every time. I have checked logs and see that installed OK, all files there BUT ...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days