We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clicking in the background

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi!

Recently while browsing I have noticed an occasional "clicking" sound going on in the background. Somewhat like when you are typing but not quite the same. I do remember years ago the same problem but I think it just stopped (different pc that time). I dontknow what it is and its really annoying.

I have Sony vaio 2 yrs old; win 7, 4 gig ram.

any ideas?

h

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is sound coming out of your Speakers or is it a mechanical noise from a component inside your pc?

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

I hadnt thought of that. After observation I am pretty certain that its coming from inside the machine!

thanks

h

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Hard-drive perhaps?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Or more likely a fan slightly out of alignment and hitting the casing.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say its you hard drive and browser that is trying to read your next move on the net, so it pre-downloads web pages or your Hard Drive is getting full

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Difficult to pin down noise as it is a laptop. Can you try to listen to which area it is coming from? As has been said it is prob Harddrive or a fan. You could check for dust and muck near the fan outlets.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...