We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC: Microsoft License reusable?

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi My Dad is going to get a new PC, due to it being so slow, will he nee to get a PC with MS applications, or can we use the existing MS software from his existing PC?

Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What software do you mean? If he owns the retail version of any software he can use it on his new PC

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If the existing PC came with the applications pre-installed then he will need to get one with on but if he bought the software separately then he should be ok.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Im talking MS Office. hmm i cant recall if it was preinstalled or purchased separately. I'm pretty sure we had to register the license - which i assume would mean we purchased it retail...?

thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which version of MS Office is it? (2000, 2003, 2007, 20010) do you have the CDs to reinstall and the product key? (if no CD some are downloadable from MS to make your own, but you need to have your own product key in order to install)

Have you looked at the EULA.

In Office 2003 mine says I can have it on 2 pcs at same time so if I got rid of one pc and wanted to install it on another new one, I would have to unregister it on old pc with MS before I could activate/register on new pc.

Obviously if I was selling/junking old pc then I would unregister that copy to free up the license for new pc and not give a 'free' copy of office away.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have a copy of Office 2007 and it is installed on three PC's I have never been asked to register it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Chronus, surely you had to Activate it?

See this Office 2007 activation failed: All licenses have been used

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Thanks for responses. Lotvic - I'll need to do some checking!
I'll be back....

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would possibly suggest that you try, because I have used this method before with some products and they have installed, activated and worked fine.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I have a copy of Office 2007 and it is installed on three PC's I have never been asked to register it."

Running the same copy of that software on three machines is a direct contravention of the licence - you may only install MS Office on two machines - a PC and a laptop.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

F.E.

Office 2007 for Home & Student is clearly licensed for 3 machines. Laptop is not specified.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......