We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printers - too much choice - help!

sarahjacintha

Likes # 0

Hello,

I'm going to have to post a lot of questions on this forum soon, so please be patient with me. I'm about to buy a printer and I've no idea which to choose; I'm constantly being told to back up my files by my computer, but it doesn't tell me how; etc. It's not that I'm unwilling to put in the legwork (as it were) in order to learn about computers, but every time I take the time to read about teccy stuff, I forget it 5 minutes later. I would love to be a geek but I'm afraid it's just not gonna happen.

Anyway, I've done a lot of reading of 'Amazon' reviews of wireless all in one printers (which is what I'm after) and each time I come across one that looks genuinely well rated, some comment about 'ease of set up' etc puts me off.

I'd like one whose wireless capability really does work (I've heard some of them just don't), I need a printer that isn't prone to paper jam issues (had a few of those) and, lastly, I would like to scan some old black and white photos onto my computer, mess with them a bit, then print them out as a surprise for my sister. As I don't have 'Photoshop' (or whatever it's called), can anyone recommend a printer that will be helpful in this respect? Bearing in mind I'm not a millionaire!

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks, Sarah.

Like this post
sarahjacintha

Likes # 0

Hello again,

I managed to print out a picture, which was a milestone for me. It was an old black and white 'Photo-Me' booth type picture - a passport sized one. It's of my sister and my brother. My sister loves the picture (it flattered her and captured her in her youth!), but the problem is my brother is making a stupid face beside her and she wants him cropped out of it. Incidentally, 'my sister' is not code for 'me', honest. It's just that she'd always wanted a larger copy, so I thought I'd surprise her.

I've cropped lots of pictures using 'Word', you know the 'picture tools' bit - but that was for 'Clait' type class assignments - could I use a 'Word' doc to print a picture?.

I'm not sure of the best way to proceed with this process. I tried using the control panel of the printer (which was surprisingly easy, in many ways, to grasp). However, it would only 'crop' to a certain extent. When I tried to zoom out, in order to enlarge the area I thought I had cropped. My brother's mush reared its ugly head again.

I used 4x6 inch photo paper. I think that's the largest size I can use without distorting the photo (after all, it was only a cheap passport pic). And I've also scanned the original (the passport size) to my PC. So I've tried 'scanning' and 'copy/restore' photos.

Ideally I'd like to use the PC to crop/re-size/fiddle with pictures and then send them to the printer.

Would really appreciate an 'idiot's guide' please!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July