We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with Windows 7 starting

Guady

Likes # 0

Twice in 3 days I've had a problem with Win7 not starting properly - just a blue screen with white arrow appears! The first time was after updating Avast and the 2nd time after installing the iTunes latest update. In both cases I managed to solve the problem by starting in Safe Mode and then using System Restore to go back beyond the update. Has anyone else had this problem? Or, have any ideas about what might be causing it? Any advice would be most welcome. I have a packard bell laptop (only 18 months old) and Windows 7.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Or, have any ideas about what might be causing it? Any advice would be most welcome.

Well as you have found out the problems are obviously to do with your updates - either one or both. I would start by uninstalling Avast completely and then reinstalling it. Leave iTunes as it is for now and see how things go.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If northumbria61 method does not work try some of those.

Go into event viewer and see what problems it shows.

Also try device manager and look for any exclamation marks beside any of the devices.

I have had that sort of problem for months now and cannot nail the problem down.In my case it is not after updates.

I believe Event viewer log pointed to a Bios update or Graphics update.

An unsigned driver in device manager can give you the same sort of problem so check everything in device manager to see if you find any problems.

Have you tried sfc /scannow in command prompt to see if that finds any problems.

As an after thought also check your date and time is set correctly.

Like this post
Guady

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help folks! I've uninstalled Avast and put on AVG instead and (touch wood!!) that seems to have solved the problem. Your replies are much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'