We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet becomes really slow when one particular Laptop is on

Jaystaffo

Likes # 0

The problem which I am currently having is quite confusing and bizarre, but ill do my best to explain it in the simplest terms.

Recently, my internet speed had been becoming increasingly slow, getting to a point where web pages just refuse to load up. I initially blamed this problem on my ISP. However it occurred to me yesterday that the my internet speed only becomes slow when one laptop is turned on. When this laptop is turned on the speed of the internet drops to around 0.04MBPS, but when it is turned off the speed of the internet shoots up again. However more bizzarely the internet is slow when the laptop is on but when the WLAN is off and even when the laptop is disconnected from the network entirely. It only happens with this laptop (which is running Windows Vista) and other laptops, tablets, games consoles, smartphones etc. that are using the same router to connect to the internet all work fine and dont pull the internet connection down. I was wondering what could I possibly do to make the computer not drag the internet down, as this does seem to be the source of the internet becoming incredibly slow. I have run a full system virus scan, which has shown nothing. Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks, Jay

Like this post
Jaystaffo

Likes # 0

EDIT: Even more strangely, I've worked out that it's not the laptop itself, but its the ADAPTER which when plugged into the laptop is making the internet grind to a halt.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Seems perhaps like a faulty adapter - can you try a different one?

Like this post
Jaystaffo

Likes # 0

I have tried another adapter, and the internet works fine. But why would an adapter make my entire internet connection go slow? Doesnt make sense

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Only guessing, but probably something to do with electrical interference from the faulty adapter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite