We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transfer Emails from Ext Hard Drive to Windows Live Mail

LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

I had been trying to restore my hard drive using Acronis Recovery but it failed each of my two backups. I tried each three times but got same response. Acronis had, however, wiped my hard drive and so I had to carry out a Clean install (and am still doing it). Despite the Recovery failure, I can access the folders and files on the backup which is on an external hard drive. This I am doing but it is a very slow process doing the transfers by way of copy/paste. I want to try and retrieve my email data - addresses, files etc (Windows Live Mail) - and get them transferred over to my clean installed PC. I do not know whether this is possible because I am not transferring from one PC to another. Can this be done? I shall very much appreciate any support you able to give. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

With Windows Live Mail on my PC you can only import Messages - the other items, accounts, addresses etc have to be exported from the other "machine". I cannot do the latter because of the ext hard drive situation, and in attempting the former I get to a box where I indicate from where to import and after entering F drive (my ext drive) it lets me go no further. It will not let me expand drive F or browse. I am now going to see if I can copy and paste a file or two between the two drives to see if this works. I am not confident.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Now that you have located the files on your external drive can you make a folder on that drive, put them all in and then try copying that folder to the PC?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Contacts:

Search under (it maybe under one of the sub-folders):

X:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts for contacts.edb

Also locate the equivalent file on your new system. Then if it is anything like Outlook Express's .WAB file (under WinXP), you should just be able to substitute the contacts.edb on the new system with the one from the old drive (although I guess there might be some access rights issues to be resolved).

I recommend that you make a backup copy of the original contacts.edb on the new system before making any changes.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I should have added - don't have Windows Live Mail (or anything else that could be accessing the contacts info) running at the time of replacing the file.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks for your further suggestions. I have not tried these yet - I am still re-installing everything and will back up once done. I will return as soon as I have tried the transfer of Window Live Mail files

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks for your further help Batch. I have managed, through copy/paste, to get my e-mail files over to my PC. It was easy once having located the Storage Files in WLM but the copying has taken a long time, I guess mainly because I am transferring from ext hard drive. As far as the Contacts is concerned, I thought I had located the file, DBFile, in Windows Live Contacts but having transferred this over by way of copy/paste again, the contacts did not appear in WLM. I have tried other methods but to no avail. I think I am going to have to be happy with what I've got. Thanks again, everyone, for your assistance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad