We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transfer Emails from Ext Hard Drive to Windows Live Mail

LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

I had been trying to restore my hard drive using Acronis Recovery but it failed each of my two backups. I tried each three times but got same response. Acronis had, however, wiped my hard drive and so I had to carry out a Clean install (and am still doing it). Despite the Recovery failure, I can access the folders and files on the backup which is on an external hard drive. This I am doing but it is a very slow process doing the transfers by way of copy/paste. I want to try and retrieve my email data - addresses, files etc (Windows Live Mail) - and get them transferred over to my clean installed PC. I do not know whether this is possible because I am not transferring from one PC to another. Can this be done? I shall very much appreciate any support you able to give. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\ but that link shows how to export email data - it assumes you have a live PC exporting source. I don't - I just have an external hard drive.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried creating a folder on your newly installed pc called "transfer from old pc" or something similar, then highlighting the folders/files that you want to transfer and using the "copy to" and choosing the hard drive of your PC.

There is a way in which you can use copy to or move to from your external hard drive to your PC. Have a look at this article explaining how to do this.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

It is difficult to identify the folder/files to be exported/transferred from the external hard drive. If it were a PC I could do as you say - ie give instructions to export the files to an empty folder and then Windows/Live Mail takes care of this. But I cannot give instructions to the hard drive(because I cannot open the Live Mail program on the external drive) and I cannot find the relevant files to copy/paste, even if that is possible.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Your old emails should be stored in:

X:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Where X is the drive letter for the mounted Acronis Image

The link that FruitBat supplied does show how to import if you scroll down the page a bit. Use those instructions and point the Import at the old email files and let it do its thing.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

I appreciate your help. I've tried X:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail but once I get to Users/AppData the next I get is LocalLow and there is nothing in that file. I have tried it on my actual PC and after Users, a folder comes up showing three files but none of them is Local(not even LocalLow). I am unable to take things further it would seem.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I just realised that the cut and paste I did of the path didn't work properly. You possibly realised, but if not try the following as a source for the import:

X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Perhaps you could try to unhide hidden folders by going to Start - typing in Folder Options - clicking on the view tab and checking the option to do this.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Why not use a program like RECUVER and specify the drive to want to recover to as the new drive . make a folder called (E.G. RECOVERED FILES).

You can select what types of files you want recovered -music-Video-Documents-email- etc.and do one section at a time.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Terry

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn. I always have "view all files" but on the new install forgot to check. I have now located various files in my External Drive in the folder Windows Mail. None of them carries a clue as to which I need to import but I'll try experimenting & let you know. I will hold fire on trying RECUVER for the time being, thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...