We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System competibility for 64 bit operating system

zarobian

Likes # 0

When I tried to install 64bit operating system I got the message that my computer is not compatible for 64bit OS.

My computer spec is as under: 1 Intel Core2 quad Q6600 2.40GHZ CPU; 2. 3 GB of RAM - DDR2; 3. ASUS P5QPL-AM mother board; 4. SATA HD. As for as I know 2GB of RAM is the minimum requirement for 64 bit system. Correct me if I am wrong please. All that I wanted to install 64bit Windows8 preview on the 2nd partition of HD along side 32bit windows 7 which failed because of incompatibility. I did install 32bit successfully. Any idea please?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You don't say which 64 bit OS (W7 or XP) you are installing but the installer will check and is generally correct.

Have a look at the requirements for both:

W7 minimum requirements

XP minimum requirements

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"I wanted to install 64bit Windows8 preview on the 2nd partition of HD along side 32bit windows 7 which failed because of incompatibility"

64bit alongside 32bit I think that might be the problem. But wait for someone else to confirm.

Like this post
zarobian

Likes # 0

johndrew.

Thanks for your link. I think I may need 4GB of RAM. I have tried this before when upgrading from Vista.I would like to know if somebody else has done it with less than 4GB of RAM.

lotvic.

The 2nd partition was blank. It should have posed no problem. Will investigate further.Thanks for your input.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Although 2gb RAM is minimum requirement it could be that your graphics card is taking some of this and maybe thats the reason it gives that message.

Its definitely not the fact you have a 32 bit OS on the first partition. Windows does'nt care whats on another partition as long as the partition your installing to is formatted NTFS.

Like this post
zarobian

Likes # 0

Zeppelyn:

Thanks for the post. I have at present3GB of DDR2 installed. I shall increase it to 4GB or more.Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia