We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to manage the taskbar on a friends laptop

CurlyWhirly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I know how to do it on my PC but my friend has a laptop where the taskbar is always displayed at the bottom of the screen and it's wide.

My taskbar is narrow and disappears when I move the mouse pointer away from the bottom of the screen as I have ticked the option "Auto hide the taskbar" under Properties.

There is also an option to enable "Wide icons" which I assume that unticking this option would mean that the current wide taskbar goes to a smaller width like what I have on my PC ?

On my friends laptop, when the option is ticked, the savings cannot be made as the (wide) taskbar obstructs the apply button so the changes cannot be saved.

Anyone who uses a laptop know how to solve this problem?

Cheers.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Right click the Taskbar and make sure lock the taskbar is unticked.Then hold the arrow down on the top edge of the taskbar and drag it down to it's normal size.Then lock the taskbar again.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I will show her your solution the next time I visit.

Cheers :)

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

buteman, I just tried it and it didn't work :(

Altering the width of the taskbar isn't as important as getting the taskbar to auto-hide when the mouse pointer moves away from the bottom of the screen.

Any other suggestions please ?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

auto-hide Taskbar.

Right click taskbar and choose properties.make sure auto hide taskbar is ticked.Apply.Ok.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the wide taskbar is obstructing the apply button then drag the properties window up a bit. To make the taskbar narrower then untick the 'lock the taskbar' first then use pointer to narrow it then lock the taskbar again. If auto hide still isn't working after applying 'hide the taskbar' then it could be an icon in the notification area that is always(wrongly) sending an alert. Similar as when you receive an email alert or security alert that will auto show the hidden taskbar.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or control panel.Taskbar and start menu.And tick auto hide taskbar.Apply.Ok.

I take it as the Taskbar is double the normal size it still shows the top part even when hide the taskbar is ticked.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

rdave, this is on a laptop not a PC

For some reason, you can't drag the window 'off screen' a lot like I could on my PC.

The window has to stay within the confines of the screen area which is really annoying.

Also the option 'auto-hide the taskbar' doesn't work as I can't apply the changes (as the taskbar gets in the way of the Apply button)) and closing down the settings window means that nothing has changed as the changes don't get applied on exit.

I think I remember seeing an icon in the notification area of the taskbar about making backups of her data.

Perhaps if this notification is switched off, I may be able to apply the changes.

Thanks

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

buteman, I don't know whether the whole of the taskbar disappears or only the top part as I can't get the 'auto-hide' option to work.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

left click, hold and drag the Taskbar to the left or right of screen - so that it is a vertical Taskbar instead of Horizontal. Now can you get at the rightclick menu?

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

lotvic, I don't know as I haven't tried that before.

I will let you know when I visit next :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'