We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 SP.1 updates repeatedly fail

Glen

Likes # 0

My wife's laptop updates automatically every time except for repeated failures of update for Service Pack 1 64 bit, KB976932. Using the advice to a letter in the new Sept Issue (just received) I tried a manual update using the M.S. Download Centre. The tinyurl address did not work so searched and found it, and entered the code. I was then stumped because I was offered 10 different files to download, all with long names and most beginning with W7 SP.1 etc etc.
Please advise if I download them all, or just one of them? Glen

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The first one will fit all at 1.9 GB. You download and save as it is an iso file. Then you need a burning software that burns iso files to a DVD. You then install from the DVD. If you scroll down a bit from the download list is shows you the info for all. If you happen to have Trusteer Rapport installed then that can stop SP1 installing. If you do have it then stop it running then go to programs and features and uninstall. Reboot and try the windows update again. See if it installs.

Like this post
Glen

Likes # 0

Hi rdave 13

Thanks for info but I did not say that the laptop in question has no optical drive. It is more-or-less an Netbook, but with enhanced memory and storage (3GB and 250 HDD) and 11.6" screen. I have successfully got the download as an ISO file, but cannot burn it to a DVD not will the laptop permit me to save it onto a memory stick. If I download the update onto my Vista PC and make a DVD, I still will not be able to load it into the laptop. What else can I do? Glen

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you are using W/7 that should burn it to DVD.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As you have no optical drive you could try this. ISO to USB.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before