We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

is google mail same as gmail ?

MAD_MIKE
Resolved

Likes # 0

is google mail the same as gmail? i ask this cos i have a hotmail account and my wife has a google mail one and i was wondering if i could get her emails to come up in my hotmail page,so she dosen't have to open google mail to read her emails. she dosen't want to change her email address as she has so many contacts on there (over 200. if it is possible could someone please tell me how i go about it,please! Mike.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

is google mail the same as gmail?: Yes, they are one and the same..

Like this post  
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It was originally called gmail but 'gmail' was trademarked in Germany and the UK, so Google came up with Googlemail instead. If you signed up before April 2005 in the UK (I think) you got a gmail address - but after that, you got a Googlemail address. To all intents and purposes, they're interchangeable - which means you can't have a [email protected] email address if [email protected] already existed.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Further to what Ian in Northampton has said,I have noticed,particularly with my wife's Google address that if she registered with her googlemail.com address at some website then that site will not accept the shortened gmail version. Not all sites I might add but some.

Which has caught her out on occasions.I never had the problem as when I set up my gmail account I managed to register from abroad so I have always had a gmail address.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

As far as GMail is concerned the googlemail.com and gmail.com address suffixes are treated the same. GMail gave an option some time ago for all googlemail.com addresses to change to gmail.com. This though does not apply to registration on other web sites which acceopt both addresses as different. If one opts to have gmail.com as their e-mail address it would be best to alter the registration on web sites which us googlemail.com

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"f i could get her emails to come up in my hotmail page"

Is that 'hotmail' a typo?

Like this post
MAD_MIKE

Likes # 0

my oppoliges Lotvic,what i was trying to say was,when i open my email page in hotmail/msn is it possible to get my wifes google mail emails to show so they can be read alongside my hotmail/msn ones. hope that clarifies the situation. Mike.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Your wife could set her emails to automatically forward to your Hotmail account - that would be a quick and dirty fix, although it might not achieve exactly what you're looking for.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

One downside of my suggestion, of course, is that she'd still have to reply from her Google account if she wanted recipients to see/use her Google address.

Like this post
MAD_MIKE

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you who responded to the problem my wife has (i'm not taking resposibilty for her problem). I think the easy way out is for the wife to get her own pc. once again thanks for your help. Mike.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...