We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cheap printer for linux mint 12

finerty

Likes # 0

Can anyone recommend a good printer for linux mint 12 and where i can purchase one. I want a printer that will work straight out of the box, not having to rely o the internet to find drivers.

many thanks

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

sorry willing to spend upto £50.00

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Is it just a printer... or a multifunction, (i.e. built in scanner), that you're after?

I don't have the answer in any case, but if it's just a printer I'll look at my mint installation and see if I can work out from the database what's on the list.

No promises mind!

Mine is just a printer, (Canon ip5300, about 4 years old). It works great in Windows, and OK in Mint 13. (I haven't managed to print photo's using GIMP in Mint.. I'm not sure if it's GIMP where the problem lays, or MINT, or the printer)

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Many of the major manufacturers now supply Linux drivers.

I've successfully used, Epson, Samsung and Canon, to name just three.

Your best bet, is to find a printer you're interested in and then simply go to the manufacturers support page, look at "Downloads", which normally offers all the downloads available for that printer. This may include manuals, quick start guides as well as drivers. If there is a driver for Linux (sometimes it's a universal driver like Samsung offer, others are distro specific), providing it's marked as suitable for either, Debian or Ubuntu (the two most likely), it should be OK for Mint. Why? Because Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian and Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu. In other words, they're all the same family with Debian being the originator.

There is also a Linux printer site, but some of the information on there is now out of date. For example, I recently bought and installed a Samsung ML-2525w Laser printer, which the site said was useless, but with the Samsung Universal drivers, is fine. So do your own research in the way I suggested and you won't go far wrong.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Sorry for any false hope... I'm now in my Mint installation and can't work out how to find the info that I thought would be available...

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame