We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removing Trial Version of Norton Security

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend has recently purchased a new HP laptop and she tell me it came with a sixty day free trial of Norton Internet Security. She is not all that computer savvy.

She knows you need antivirus and on her old computer she used Avast. I have mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials.

Before she decides on either Avast or MSE we know she has to remove Norton from her computer. Is there any special procedures she should take or is it just a case of going into Control Panel>Programs>Remove Norton. She is running with Windows 7.

Your guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You should try Programs - remove Norton first. If this does not work then you can download the Norton uninstall tool. Needless to say this should not be done until your friend has another product to take it's place.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

Best to download and Install Revo uninstaller. Then open Revo and use that to uninstall Norton. Highlight Norton and click on Delete - Revo will use Nortons' own uninstaller first, let that run its course, then continue with Revo by clicking on Next. Click on Next in each part of Revo until you reach the end, click on Finish.

During the uninstall process you will get the option to Select all and then to Delete all - do exactly that. Revo will continue and you may then get the same options again, again choose to select all and to delete all. Don't make any alterations to what Revo chooses here - do exactly as I have advised. You will then be rid of all remnants of Norton.

I use Revo in exactly this way for all my uninstalls!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My experience with these bloatware programs on new PCs is that so long as the icon on the desktop hasn't been clicked on( then the installer runs) you can then uninstall via programs and features ok. Otherwise you'll need to stop all the features of Norton running and use the removal tool.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

MSE is fine, but of course only one Anti-virus per PC. I suggest also MalwareBytes Pro, not expensive and very good at its job.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your responses. I think she has already clicked on the icon so shall have to go down Nonteks route.

Will let you know how we get on.

Like this post  
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi we have both downloaded and installed Revo. Follow on from Nontek, couple of queries on getting rid of Norton.

OK highlighted Norton on the list but no delete - figured you must have meant the "uninstall" button. Please confirm.

Your reference to the option Select all and then to delete (?uninstall?) This select all does just refer to Norton??

Would welcome your comments from two nervous Norton uninstallers.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman - ordered.

On the removal of Norton front got to say thanks to nontek. Used common sense and used uninstall button. All clear now. Will retain Revo on my computer for future use. Wonder what happens after the 30 day free period.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

buteman - thought it was too good to be true. The original link was to a company call PC supplies on Amazon and for Malwarebytes Pro for Life. (Now listed by a different company for £23. odd). Original purchase price was £8.50. What arrived this morning was the lesser, ordinary (and freely downloadable) Malwarebytes.

I tried installing the software and when I tried to update (the disc was dated 2009 and the packaging 2010)I received the old error code I used to get when I did use the download version.

I have contacted the seller via Amazon for a refund of my £8.50 and await their response.

Shall keep you posted.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

P.S. Thank goodness for Revo uninstaller.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more