We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freshly formatted Hard disk - now to install new laid Win 7

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

So the Hard drive is formatted - Win 7 purchased from PCW yesterday Insert disk Begins to load then displays message

NTLDR MISSING

Click Crtl Alt Delk to restart

Whats to do now?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I assume you are using a DVD Drive not CD?

or, This might help

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank u nontak

It occured to me after I posted,to reset bios to boot from CD so I phoned him that, I notice however in your link that mention was made of DVD.

Are O/S discs now DVD?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, OS normally on DVD.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is the bios set to boot from the DVD first and you need to 'press any key to boot from DVD' showing?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thanks for that .I have relayed to him will walk over to see how he got on. Though I recalled later how get bios and set the first boot device,it isamazing how much I had forgotten since dumping Windows in favour of Ubuntu about year ago.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

You say the disk is formatted yet the message displayed is "NTLDR is missing." This would indicate that an OS is being looked for and a pre Vista one at that, XP was the last OS to use NTLDR as a loder, Windows Vista and 7 use bootmgr.

Reformat the disk and make sure the DVD is first boot device.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

HaD a look at what is/is not happening

The machine has both CD and DVD drives the bios however only says boot from CD-so preumably the board is not DVD compliant

It has the uptionto boot via USB devices,so I have given him my IDE/USB cable to try to see if that is a way in. I have also suggested he reinstals XP-on CD- then run the Win 7 discas an upgrade- we shall see tomorrow.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Just because the motherboard does not mention boot from DVD and only says boot from CD that is fine. It will find the DVD and boot from it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, just press the 'Any Key' to boot from CD and it will boot from the DVD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Win 7 won't upgrade from XP. As above, the bios will call a DVD drive a CD drive so make the CD drive first in the boot order.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...