We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 compatible with windows 7 ?

gel
Resolved

Likes # 0

My lap top is loaded with windows xp My desk top is loaded with windows 7 I use a usb loaded with my documents including microsoft money on both these machines. Will I be able to do the same if I install windows 8 on my desk top? Thanks for you comments in advance

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Microsoft says that applications that run on Windows 7 will also run on Windows 8 so I don't think you will encounter any problems.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/software/3367149/why-when-how-migrate-windows-8/#ixzz1zDldEJ1h

Like this post  
ams4127

Likes # 0

I would be inclined to run Win8 as a dual boot with Win7 and make sure that everything works. Don't forget that Win8 is still just a trial version at the moment and, personally, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your advice, which I will follow

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Windows 8 is aimed at touch screen or Tablet computers,it brings very little to desktops.

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus that is a very helpful observation. How ever I have been looking at the new google nexus 7 and just wondered if I use Google drive for my documents I could view them and use them on any device desktop tablet or lap top regardless of which operating platform I have installed . But I admit I may be out of my depth on my thinking and would appreciate comments

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

The latest news from Microsoft covers upgrading to Win 8

http://www.windows8update.com/2012/06/28/windows-8-upgrade-paths-from-xp-vista-and-windows-7-are-leaked/?awtl=HaGAo&awtm=3axq0rg39p5gY18

I have tryed it and removed it and will not be paying for it prefering to stay with Win 7 Ultimate

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes you can use Google drive anywhere, as you can see here. Google drive.

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

That is very encouraging Chronus Thank you The word of warning from sharpamat is very much appreciated thank you

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks