We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any graphics card gurus out there?

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

My son'e PC has an NVIDIA 8800GTS graphics card in his PC. However, he wants to play Battlefield 3 on it, which is apparently quite demanding in terms of graphics. According to the Battlefield 3 system requirements, the 8800GTS is about the minimum you need. The recommended card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950 - which are £100 - £150 cards. Can anyone recommend a 'sweet spot' somewhere between the two where he'd see a worthwhile graphics performance improvement - but for rather less money?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A couple of things you need to take into consideration when upgrading a GPU, whether your current PSU can supply enough power comfortably. The other thing is your current CPU will bottleneck the new GPU. You might also struggle to get a decent upgrade for less than a £100.

So what motherboard/PSU/and CPU have you?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus. I'll need to get my son to find out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days