We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Writing batch files – how???

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I know there are some free synch programmes about, but I used to write quite a lot of batch files, so as I just want to copy 8 or 10 files, from 2 folders, I – stupidly- thought that if I wrote a simple batch file it would work.

Well, Point 1 is that I went into ‘Command Prompt’ and got what I thought was the DOS screen being displayed. I then wrote – to check that it would work – a single line that went “Copy C:\Quicken\rbs.* F:\Holidays\Quicken”. And it didn’t work!!! What appeared on the screen was that the file could not be found!! Can anyone tell me what is wrong with that? I know I am having memory problems, but I am certain that that was the sort of thing I wrote. If anyone can tell me what I should have wrote I would be very grateful.

And Point 2, made me sweat a bit!! I can not remember how to save it as a batch file. I was going to do so, when I realised that I could not remember so went ahead with the test and thought that if there was a bug – and what In have done is a lot, lot more than a bug – I could write it and save it. Wrong!! Complete muck up, by me. So any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Nontek,

Many thanks, and many, many apologies for not replying sooner. I followed your link, and got caught up!!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Apologies not necessary, I just hope I have solved your problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback