We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Acquiring Network Address'Problem

signalnorth

Likes # 0

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone might be able to help out with a very annoying problem I have in terms of my desktop wireless pc permanately showing a 'acquiring network address' message and failing to connect to the internet.

My laptop works just fine and has no connection probs . The desktop was working fine too until recently. I have tried rolling the pc back with a system restore but to no avail. Tried a few other solutions I found on the net but with no luck either - It is driving me crazy!

Can anyone help me please? I hope so!!. Please don't assume computer knowledge and talk me through step by step if you can. It will be greatly appreciated if you can help. Thank you.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Would be useful to know what you have already tried ,saves suggesting the same things. What OS have you?

Like this post
signalnorth

Likes # 0

I have windows XP. Have tried the winsock thing. Thanks for replying

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Try deleting that network and then search again.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I may be wrong but go into your laptop and right click on the wireless connection. Open network and sharing center.Details.And it should show all the details of your network connection.

Then just go into your Desktop and then dot the. use the following IP Address and type in the address that you copied from your laptop.

Now it will be different on XP I am using W/7 and that's how I do it.A while since I used XP so not sure how to do it on that.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try.

1.On Windows XP, click Start, Run, type cmd, click Ok. 2.Once you have a command prompt, first type “ipconfig /flushdns”. 3.Next, type “ipconfig /release”. 4.Then, type “ipconfig /renew”.

Other suggestions here.Microsoft.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July