We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Talk Talk emails slow again

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Anyone else on Talk Talk experiencing slow emails? Mine are taking upwards of two hours to get through and this is often a prelude to a wipeout!

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks again rdave, one final query, after I download Gmail will my OE still work?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Gmail isn't a download.It's this newfangled cloud type. Same as it was a decade ago with AOL. Thinking about it you have Gmail, AOL, Opera mail and many others to choose from.

I don't think you fully understand what an email client stands for?

Email client is for the web. Email programs, such as Outlook saves email on your PC from the client. Live Mail is the recent one from Microsoft.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13's making me feel my years.... ;)

I use OE to collect my gmail. First you have to enable POP in your Webmail gmail Like this

Then you make account in OE with these settings, Incoming mail server (POP3) pop.gmail.com Outgoing mail (SMTP) smtp.gmail.com and a tick in Outgoing Mail Server >My server requires authentication.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic Not really. Used OE years ago. It's dead in the water. Listening to the BEST now through earphones..... superb. :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13 grrr, anymore of that and I'll swap my harddrive over to W7 in morning.... ;-) (instead of playing with new Galaxy Tab - Android)

sorry thumbscrew, I'm mixing your thread up again :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , use the XP HDD as a back-up drive. Play with your Galaxy Tab and you can give me advice on these Android neither-this-or-the-other device. LOL. Off-springs are thinking of such abominations for next..err..that time of year that..umm..things come for free. Mind you my 9 year old has just told me last week that there is no person that wears the red coat. I had to be truthful and another innocence bites the dust. Surprised by my reactions, as I've been through it all before, but this time I felt some deep sadness for some reason. Still - my 7 year old daughter still believes so the magic will go on.

Swap your hard drive my friend.

With apologies again to thumbscrew .

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks amigos for your patience, I'm hitting the proverbial hay and will pop Gmail on when I return from work tonight. You've been very helpful as usual.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

thumbscrew It's a good email client. Sorry for the hijacking.. :)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

rdave13 - "Email client is for the web. Email programs, such as Outlook saves email on your PC from the client. " I'm sorry but I disagree with that. An email client is a programme or application used to send and receive e-mails. It's called a client because e-mail systems are based on a client-server architecture. Webmail is for the web when you use your browser to access emails. You can do this with most e-mail addresses as well as using a program like Outlook or Thunderbird. Gmail can be accessed using webmail or downloaded using an email client.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I use WLM as an email program and always thought that the 'clients' were the emails themselves. If I'm wrong then I stand corrected. Thanks Woolwell.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...