We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sidebar question

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

My neighbour (OS Vista) has Lumix installed - it came with her Panasonic camera. It's been on her pc for years; I don't know how she used to access it (and it would have been very rarely) but suddenly Lumix (with all the pictures)has appeared as a sidebar, taking up desktop space. How can she get rid of the sidebar, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Lumix Simple Viewer appears in the system tray, not sidebar, and to stop it starting you have to enter msconfig.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'll start up my Vista laptop and have a look.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Cannot replicate the problem on my laptop.

If you right click on the Vista sidebar and choose properties then you can untick start sidebar, etc and you can also check which gadgets are running.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

It seems impossible to right click on the sidebar when I tried that all that happens is that one or more of the pics opens - there's no menu or option to do anything (like unticking sidebar, etc.)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In which case it probably isn't the sidebar but some other program. What does task manager indicate as running.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You could system restore to before the problem began.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks, Woolwell. Somehow I didn't think of sys restore, though I would have if it had been a problem on my own system. I'll try sys restore when I go round there next week. Meanwhile someone in a different helproom has described solving a different sidebar problem by re-installng Java.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Trying to simulate the same on my system I now realise it isn't a "sidebar" at all (just as woolwell thought!Thanks, woolwell)

So whatever it is - maybe a taskbar - how has it got there? Dragged, maybe? I've already tried dragging it back to bottom of the screen, without success. And Lumix , with all its pics, used to be a desktop icon; so how has that got moved with the taskbar? OK, I'll do a sys restore (assuming friend has any idea at all when the problem began. I can guess at 2 weeks earlier)

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks everyone. It was, as woolwell said, NOT a sidebar problem. I've made it go away - Not totally sure how and I certainly don't know why it appeared in the first place. But it's gone. SYstem restore didn't do the trick ( friend not sure when problm began ( it was a long time ago apparently) So I did a search (via Start) for Lumix then "open file location" - can't remember what the location was, but there were 2 copies of Lumix there, so I deleted one....bingo!I happened to have deleted the one we wanted to get rid of! Not a process I would normally use - far too random - but any port in a storm.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

End result was successful anyway :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...