We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sidebar question

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

My neighbour (OS Vista) has Lumix installed - it came with her Panasonic camera. It's been on her pc for years; I don't know how she used to access it (and it would have been very rarely) but suddenly Lumix (with all the pictures)has appeared as a sidebar, taking up desktop space. How can she get rid of the sidebar, please?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Go to View and untick it in Sidebar.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Nontek, your advice sounded logical and straightforward but (a) WHERE should I go to View? and (b)I can't work out exactly what you mean , and (b)when I get there I assume you mean "untick Sidebar in it". bUt my basic problem with following your instructions is which "View"? Can you clarify, please.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Sorry to confuse, I was a bit quick off the mark.

I was thinking of View, or Tools/Sidebar, in the Internet Explorer menu.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Right.Ok. Thanks

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

problem partly solved thanks to Nontek and the MS website! I went along to help this morning but found that deleting the sidebar completely (which is what my neighbour wants to do) seems to be impossible.

It is now no longer permanently on view; it pops out if the mouse pointer goes right up to the edge of the desktop. How can I get rid of it entirely?

The whole thing seems muddled - control panel>sidebar has sidebar ticked to appear on the right hand side of the monitor, but it is on the left. I cannot see anything to "close sidebar" or similar.

I asked what she had done that might have caused the sidebar to appear (she is a great fiddle-fingers) but she couldn't recall anything that she had done. She thought it MIGHT have "come in" (!) when she downloaded a program from the Internet.("Free Viewer" I think it was )

Please , can anyone suggest a way of getting rid of the sidebar COMPLETELY, given the present situation and what I've already tried. The only thing on it is Windows Photo Gallery but as that contains over 900 pics and is already on her desktop............

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is it the LUMIX Simple Viewer? as on this page Maybe it is set to open on Start Up programs. Have you looked to see if there is a setting in the Lumix program.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've had Lumix Simple Viewer for a number of years, firstly on Vista and now on W7 and I've never seen it as a sidebar. It usually does start with the PC.

Gadgets on the Vista sidebar can be detached and placed on the desktop. Is it possible that the Windows Photo gadget has been detached and placed at the edge of the screen?

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks for that Lotvic. I hadn't thought of Lumix being the cause of the problem as she's had Lumix for years whereas the sidebar problem is only a week or two old.

Next week I'll go along again and take a close look at Lumix. If there are several versions of Lumix it will be whatever comes as standard. "Simple viewer" sounds right.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps there are no settings in Lumix Simple Viewer to make it appear as a sidebar.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Woolwell, so do you know the procedure to only have it appear/start up 'on demand' (I have neither Vista or Lumix - so know nowt)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination