We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound problem with XP PC

Hetti

Likes # 0

I tried setting up an old XP PC everything went fine router set up, internet connection great! but there is no sound at all on PC none on win media player or You tube the following is the message I get.

Win media player cannot play the file there is a problem with sound device, there may not be a sound device installed or it may in use by another device.

The sound would not have been used on the PC for quite a long time(I don't use sound) but my brother want to listen to music/radio etc.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Next time you boot the PC go into set up and check sound is enabled.

If it is then look in Device Manger and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark on any item. If so you will need a driver for the sound device for it to work.

Details of the model of PC or Motherboard would help if you need more help.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks jollyjohn As the PC is at brother house I will not be able to go there again until tomorrow, will post back then.

Thanks

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

On the new install did you installed the drivers for the sound card?

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Jolleyjohn Sound is enabled in setup, the only thing in device manager with exclamation mary was chipset update did that, I downloaded driver max and it said 3DP Edition V9.12 (sigmatel C.major audio)V5.10.9.12, needed update so I let it look for the update but it came back with only one result and it was exactly the same version as is already installed, I thought I would install it just to see if it helped but it didn't make any difference.

recap sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, the PC was already set up(had operating system in) i meant getting it up and running to give to my brother, sorry to mislead you.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Morning

Sorry about the delay replying, I work a night shift.

The chipset that needs updating appears to be the on board sound. What is the make and model of the PC or the make and model of the mainboard.

A search for the correct driver should sort this out.

Do you have any discs that came with the PC or is there a recovery partition, these may contain the correct driver. If, in device manager, you uninstall the device, reboot, then windows should prompt you to install a driver.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you have not got SIW or anything like that downloaded download this and it will tell you everything that you have on your computer including sound.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Also check that you have the speakers plugged in and the sound turned on. make sure it has not been muted on the keyboard.

Try Services and scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to automatic and is turned on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback