We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unused Internet Explorer accumulating temp files

Fredsone

Likes # 0

Hi.

I have Internet Explorer and Firefox running on a Vista Ultimate desktop. I rely on Firefox and seldom use IE (IE is used about once a month). I regularly clean the computer with the "Disc Cleanup" function and with CCleaner.

Does anyone know why IE continues to accumulate Cookies and Temp files even though it is not being used.
When I run the CCleaner analyze function prior to cleaning process, I always see that although IE has not been used it has stored a number of cookies and temp files. Then after the CCleaner clean process the cookies etc are gone.
The longer the time period between a CCleaner analysis and subsiquent cleaning the more cookies etc are accumulated by IE.
IE is set to delete all cookies etc when closed.

Regards.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

You may have Export Cookies to IE selected in Firefox? To check follow the instructions here: http://www.ehow.com/how8738870transfer-cookies-ie-firefox.html

Like this post
Fredsone

Likes # 0

Hi Recap.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I can’t find a function which automatically exports from Firefox to a specific destination like IE.
There is a one off HTML export (to a chosen destination) but that option has to be selected each time an export is needed.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Your mail client (if you use a Microsoft one) may also share the same temp file areas as IE. I use Outlook Express (under WinXP) and that certainly leads to items in the IE temp files (e.g. from HTML in emails), I guess Windows Mail under later OSs may do something similar.

Also, Windows Update / Microsoft Update use IE (at least in WinXP), even if you use another browser for your own use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'