We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC UPGRADE, WHAT COMPONENTS DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GET

sut1576

Likes # 0

HI GUYS

i am looking to build a new pc for myself something thats fast and great for gaming and would like to know what parts i should get, i have a budget of around £800. i am looking to buy

(1) harddrive size isnt really and issue just big enough to run windows and afew games from.

(2) ram

(3) motherbaord

(4) cpu

(5) gfx card

i am currently running a radeon hd 5870 1gb do you think it would be more cost effective to buy a second 1 of these and run them as SLI or to just buy a new card as not sure what would be more powerful.

i am not interested in overclocking so am looking for fast and powerfull straight out the box,

thank for any help

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Does Your list include operating system? The five components you have listed is that all you need? What about case,psu,optical drive? Any peripherals needed KB/Mouse monitor?

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

hi

i have all the parts you have listed from my old system. i am just looking for the parts listed.

thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK,I'll post some specs later.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What PSU have you by the way, is the OS 32 or 64 BIT? this will make a difference with amount of RAM.What case are you using m-ATX mid tower or full tower?

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

hi

the O/S is windows 7 64bit, the psu is a thermaltake 800watt

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

oh aand its a full tower

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

CPU.

Motherboard.

RAM.

GPU.

Total £715.21

I can speak highly of the GPU and CPU as I have both.

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

thank you, can i ask why that cpu as i was looking at the i7 cpu as they seem a little more expensive but far more power or am i reading it wrong, the only reason i ask about the 17 is that i want this system to last me a few years so really dont want to have to replace parts in 18 months,

thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Which i7 by the way? I picked the i5 2500K because if you Google it,it takes some beating as a gaming chip. Here's a good comparison site, Compare. Have a look and I a lot of cases the i5 will well beat the i7 in the gaming stakes. But as I do not know which i7 you are talking about I cannot comment on the difference.

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

i was thinking of the i7 3770k as it can be brought for around the £250 price,

the reason i was thinking of this is that this system will have to last me several years now so i want the best i can get now in the hope of it lasting as long as possible. but not sure if this chip is worth getting or not for my system as the 1 you hav said may do me better

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback