We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD failed and installing a new one

TOFF

Likes # 0

Hello

I have to replace my HDD as the old one failed. Using Windows 7 I have been backing up regularly including a system image.

As there will be no operating system on the computer initially, I am not sure how to go about this process. I have a Windows CD and a Dell drivers and resources CD. Once I have installed the new HDD in the casing, do I switch on, go to the boot menu and (having inserted the Windows CD in the drive), select to boot from the CD drive?

Assuming that I can then install Windows, then I guess I can reinstall my old system image.

Have I got this roughly correct or, if not, please advise what I should do?

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Sorry to bang on but what about a clean install of the W7 SP1 DVD? Only thing I may not have got right is the partitioning. I frankly don't understand what it is about. I have one small partition (and cannot be deleted) which is always there of only 15MB or so and then the rest is in another partition of 900+GB which is the one I have always selected to use in the many past failed attempts.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is this the small partition you mean? ClickHere and alsoClickHere

As for the W7 repair disk you made, boot from it and see what menu it brings up, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic. No I don't think this is the same partition. With the upgrade, you don't get to see the partitions anyway. As for the repair disk, let's see.....................

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I assume you are using the correct upgrade, i.e. 32 bit to 32 bit or 64bit to 64bit.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Yes using correct upgrade. Again fruitless attempt at using repair disk. Told me to disconnect any newly installed peripheral such as a camera or mp3 player and the restart. Usual result ,i.e. not starting but offered me the opportunity to restore my image which am doing. This will put me back to where I was a week ago and unable to install SP1. Can i live with that?Thanks for all your ideas and help anyway.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

this could be pertinent ClickHere

"Run Windows Update and if you are offered the option to install update KB2454826, KB2534366, or KB2533552, install them. If you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center and do not install these updates, you could encounter a Stop error in Windows in rare cases."

"These updates will automatically be installed when you install the service pack by using Windows Update. However, these updates are not automatically installed when you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center."

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Thanks again and will try this.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic I'm afraid that didn't work either. The 3 updates were already on my machine so I ran update which naturally included SP1. On restart it only got to 10% before giving up (Error not found (0x80070490). Before you ask, I have done everything MS recommends. Can I not live without SP1? I have done for ages anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback