We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hibernating condition can I power off?

Toneman

Likes # 0

I have recently started to use the hibernating condition with my old mains powered laptop running XP.What I am wondering is whether the PC is really dormant so that the power supply can be switched off but still resurrect without a long start up, or whether it's just in a very deep "sleep" mode so shouldn't be disconnected from the power supply?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

And the answer to your question - If you’re on a notebook, make sure that your hibernate time is less than your battery time. Otherwise, your battery will drain before the option can kick in.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Thanks, think this answers my poser, I'll try hibernate then switch off when I shut down today, with fingers crossed. I should only get the "windows did not shut down properly" message if all else fails...

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

My understanding is that hiberbate is a fully powered off state. The memory contents are written to disk and an indicator is set that indicates a hirenate state. When you next power up, the system goes to boot, but first checks the hibernate indicator, if it is set, rather than boot it restores your memory from the disk file. It follows that you should be able to safely turn off the power and remove the battery whilst in a hibernate state.

Contrast hibernate with standby where the memory contents are not written to disk (the system just goes to a low power state) and so all active processes and data in memory will be lost if you remove power.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Just to update, recovered from hibernation ok this morning, but not much quicker than a reboot, although my old laptop isn't the world's fastest...

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I use standby quite a lot on my desktop PC during the day. Instead of taking about 80 secs to boot, it is up in a few secs.

But I always power down overnight anyhow. I don't take with the idea of never / infrequently rebooting. I consider it risky as, if changes have been made (e.g. software updates) that have destabilised the system, one wants to find out about it sooner rather than later as one is in a much better position to remedy such problems then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?