We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

remaining signed in to GMX e-mail

Markito

Likes # 0

I recently experienced a problem with GMX.com that they have been unable to answer. Suddenly I got blocked out of signing in, even though my default setting was to stay signed in. (My email address is "etc...@gmx.com"

I then went to gmx.co.uk and was able to sign in and remain signed in without any problem!

I am now scared to log out of gmx.co.uk in case I get blocked and am unable to sign in again.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether I will get blocked?

I should add that I appear to have been blocked from gmx.com simply due to uninstalling Firefox 13 - without saving passwords etc - and doing a clean reinstall.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you are in UK shouldn't you be signing in with GMX.co.uk anyway? I can't see any reason why you should have been blocked simply because you uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox but I could be wrong. I use Firefox 13 and GMX but log-in using co.uk - if I were to use GMX.com it defaults to co.uk anyway. You may find that things have returned to how they were - but there is only one way to find out!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would think it'll be down to the Cookie and settings stored on your pc. Make sure you have gmx cookie saved so it doesn't get deleted. I also use gmx.co.uk but have chosen to sign in each time I visit Server (usually I just collect with OE on this pc)

I know when I clear my cookies I have to re-sign in again on pca forum. Have now got it set to not clear pca cookies when I close browser so I am automatically kept signed in unless I manually clear all cookies.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

In fact, I am British but currently in Spain. So I registered with gmx.com.

I was only worried that I might not be able to sign back in to gmx.co.uk if I log out, since gmx.com says I appear to be blocked - for no reason they know of. For the sake of security, I would prefer to log out each time. So assuming this is a cookie question, are the two separate or will I be blocked from co.uk once I log off?

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

I just bit the bullet and logged off. On logging on again, there was no problem. I simply had to sign in and either remain signed in or not. So there just seems to be a glitch for me with gmx.com.

Could it be as simple as this: If I'm signed in with uk, I can't also sign in with .com since I can't theoretically be in two places at once?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Could it be as simple as this: Yes I think it could be. I have spoken to Insurance companies in the past when I have had a problem with an online account and have been told that I would have to log-off because they couldn't do anything with my account whilst I was logged-in.

It doesn't always happen but it does appear that theoretically you can't be in two places at once?

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thank you Northumbria61.

I've put the matter back to gmx.com . They're scratching their heads about it, but say it's never happened before.

I'll leave it at that in this forum and I'd like to thank you and the others for your advice.

Mark

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer