We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer won't boot at all then if it does it hangs during startup

thosjc

Likes # 0

On return from holiday my computer wound not boot . Fans were on but no splash screen. I found a couple of similar examples on the forum and as suggested turned everything off unplugged all peripherals, held down power switch for 40secs reconnected everything and tried again this time I got as far as the desktop opening but the system thn hung -I think when loading the grraphics driver. I repeated this all a few more times with same results -no initial boot eventually getting through using the 'discharge' sequence but then hanging when loading startup drivers. My Computer is about 3yrs old. Is there anything I can try to fix or at least narrow down the source of the problem before I buy unnecessary hardware?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Remove refit memory modules and graphics card (if separate)then retry

report back

if you can get to Advance menu using F8 (or F5) select startup repair.

Like this post
thosjc

Likes # 0

Thank you fruit bay. Seems to have worked. I'm now running a virus scan in case and will watch what happens but so far so good.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would also check the time and date is correct.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Also check the air vents for dust and fluff.if so inside will also need cleaning.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK