We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IP address for printer

Sapins
Resolved

Likes # 0

Where do I find the IP address for my epson RX620 printer.

I have windows 7 on a desktop connected through a Netgear DG834G v2 router, with the printer connected by USB, it works wirelessly, with my laptop and and now I want use it wirelessly with my iMac which asks for the IP address of the printer, I have looked everywhere but I cannot find it. While I still have most of my hair and my sanity can anyone tell me exactly how to find this IP address please.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

As you're using the win7 PC as a host & the iMac as a client then input the IP address of the win7 PC.

However if you want to use the wireless facility of the Epson RX620 printer then get one of these Bluetooth adapters click here , how to install a Bluetooth Adapter click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

retep888™ - For bluetooth then you would need the Epson Bluetooth Photoprint Adaptor Amazon(not the ones in your first link) and Bluetooth on the other systems.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I have installed the printer on the iMac and it prints ok. I thought I had set everything to enable the printer to be shared with the desktop and laptop but they will not print, I then installed Bonjour for windows but that will not work, it needs UDP port 5353 open but I don't know how to do that! I connected the printer to the desktop but then the iMac won't print!

I think the only way out is to buy another printer?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Port forwarding or opening on that router is pretty straight forward, I have the same router. This will guide you. Port forward.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

To be honest,it's always easier to share a printer which is connected on a PC from a Mac than the other way round.

1.Connect the RX620 to the Win7 desktop & configure it to be shared, make sure password protection sharing is turned off in Network Sharing Centre.

2.Find out the desktop's IP address by typing CMD in the search box ,type ipconfig after the flashing cursor in the black box & press enter. Your desktop's IP address should be in the region of 192.168.0.xx

3.On your iMac ,check the Network by navigating to Go > Network >you should see the desktop icon there.

4.On your iMac ,click Print & Scan in System Preferences >Click the + sign on the left > click Add Other Printer Or Scanner > click the Windows printer icon at the top > click the appeared workgroup until you see the RX620 > click RX620 & you should see it appearing on the Name box > type your desktop's IP address in the Location box i.e. 192.168.0.xx > using the up & down arrow on the right of the Print Using box & locate the Epson RX620 driver > click it & you'll see the Add box turning from greyed out to solid colour at the bottom > click Add & your iMac will connect to your desktop & install printer driver > RX620 will appear under the Printers in the Print & Scan box.

5.Print a test page from your iMac.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Appeared work group is not shown.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::85aa:4ea0:5861:b467%10 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{191857DB-EA28-4270-B705-7E3AF4D40A37}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:1cb1:ec4:a379:f6b9 Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1cb1:ec4:a379:f6b9%13 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\Users\

This is what is showing in ipconfig: Nothing showing in network on Mac and no appeared workgroup under the Windows printer icon.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

192.168.0.2 is your Win7 desktop PC's IP address, it's always a good idea to fix this address in your Netgear router. click here to download manual for how to reserve IP under LAN IP Settings in chapter 5.

In this case you might need to use LPD(Line Printer Daemon), please make sure if you use a third party firewall,it's configured to allow 2 way traffic. Both PC & Mac need to be in the same workgroup to share files & printers, if you haven't changed any settings both in the Mac & PC then default is Workgroup.

Your Windows 7 PC needs to have the LPD printer sharing protocol enabled, select Start> Control Panels> Programs>In the Programs Panel, select 'Turn Windows features on or off.'>In the Windows Features window> click the plus (+) sign next to Print and Document Services>Place a check mark next to the 'LPD Print Service' item >Click OK>Restart your Windows 7 PC.

Adding an LPD Printer to Your Mac> Click the Print & Fax icon in System Preferences >Click the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the list of printers and faxes.

The Add Printer window will open >Right-click the toolbar and select 'Customize Toolbar' from the pop-up menu (i.e. any empty space at the top say next to the Windows printer icon) >Drag the Advanced icon from the icon palette to the Add Printer window's toolbar >Click the Done button >Click the Advanced icon in the toolbar >Use the Type dropdown menu to select 'LPD/LPR Host or Printer.',Another Device will be auto selected in the Device box.

In the URL box, enter the IP address of the Windows 7 PC and the shared printer's name in the following format. lpd://IP Address/Shared Printer Name (when you shared the RX620 in Win7 desktop,please name it as short as possible like just RX620, you can rename it now) So you should type lpd://192.168.0.2/RX620 (The URL field is case sensitive,so RX620 and rx620 aren't the same),your iMac will start collecting the printer information if all is fine 192.168.0.2 will appear in the Name box ,you can change it to RX620 or EpsonRX620 or Epson ,whatever you like, leave the Location box blank.

Use the Print Using dropdown menu to select the printer driver,not all printer drivers support the LPD protocol, so if the selected driver doesn't function, try one of the generic types or Gutenprint drivers.(you might have to use the Epson Stylus Photo RX620-Gutenprintv5.2.3 driver) >click the Add button.

Testing the Printer

The Windows 7 printer should now appear in the printer list in the Print & Fax preference pane. To test whether the printer is working, have your Mac generate a test print.

Click the Print & Fax preference pane, highlight the RX620 you just added to the printer list by clicking it once,in the right-hand side of the Print & Fax preference pane, click the Open Print Queue button.

From the menu, select Printer/Printer setup, Print Test Page,the test page should appear in the printer queue on your Mac, and then print through your Windows 7 printer.( if you don't see print test page then just create a word document & test print)

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Hi again,

Everything works until I try to print, first of all a test page then a documet. It was changing from printing to pause now it has gone to "error" and will not print.

I hope you can help me fix this as I seem very close to completing the set up thanks to you perservering with your help.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

It was changing from printing to pause now it has gone to "error" and will not print.

This is a printer driver incompatibility issue i.e.the Apple native Epson driver doesn't support the LPD, click here to download the Gutenprint latest driver for Mac OS X version 5.2.8. dmg.(16.4 MB)

After 5.2.8. Gutenprint is downloaded, open & click the Installer to install. In System Preference click Print & Scan >highlight the newly added RX620> Option & Supplies > Driver > Use the Print Using dropdown menu to select the Gutenprint driver for your printer (it should be under Epson Stylus Photo RX620 - Cups + Gutenprint v5.2.8 )

Test print the printer again if all is fine then right click this printer & select Set default printer in Print & Scan.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote