We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive in caddy will not format

dangerusone
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a hard drive taken from a PC that died on me (motherboard failure) I put it in a caddy and connected to my new Pc and tried to format it. When trying to format it the Drive letter came up as "C" which it was on the old PC, my new Pc has the same drive letter and I was afraid I would damage my new Pc so I cancelled the formatting. I went to computer - manage - Disk management, and tried to assign a new drive letter but not successfully Drive G. this flashes up intermittently. Is there anything I can do to formatt this hard drive.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You should be able to assign a new identity to the (now external) drive unless for some reason your PC is recognising it as a 'primary' drive, have a look at this article it may help.

I would suggest that you identify positively the drive in the caddy, right click it and 'delete' it. This should remove the header and allow you to format it fully.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sowing as C: because it will be seen as a System disk

your normal C: drive should be shown as disk 0, is the new c: online

other should show as removable select the romoveable one and delete the system files (XP? - NTLDR NTdetect boot.ini) this will stop it being seen as system disk.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

johndrew, I looked at the How to -- article link but couldn't get anywhere.

FruitBat, my normal drive is showing as C, I managed to alter the caddy drive as D but it is flashing and is not showing long enough to Partition/Formatt

I must admit in some of these explanatory articles I find some of the terminology hard to follow, old age I guess.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try MiniTool Partition Wizard or Easeus Partition Master, you'll have to google for them, sorry.

Right click the partition, Change Letter, Format etc

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

In Easeus Partion Master it is only showing one drive as follows - Disk 1/Basic 465.76GB/System NTFS 100MB/C:OS NTFS 453/F:HP Recovery NTFS 12.33GB, The DVD drive is showing but the caddy drive D? is flashing on and off too quickly to do anything with it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What size drive 3.5? is this and externally powered caddy?

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

500GB but showing as 453GB and the caddy is a Pluscom SATA to USB 2.0 external powered,. Reading from the instructions, no driver needed except for Windows 98, I'm on Windows 7.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you tried putting it in a different usb port on your pc?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Can you connect the drive directly to the PC on a spare SATA port & see if Windows can assign it a new drive number?

If it can then format it & put it back into the caddy as a spare drive.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

I have tried various USB ports,even tried an old powered USB from the days when PCs only had about 2 ports with no luck.

Where do I find a spare SATA port, inside the case? if that is so it's a bit beyond me.

I think I'll give it up as a bad job, there are no files/photo's on it that were not backed up. I was just messing around seeing if I could do it.

I think maybe my new PC is getting confused because it is basically seeing 2 drives named C which is what it was before it was taken out of the old PC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow