We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive in caddy will not format

dangerusone
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a hard drive taken from a PC that died on me (motherboard failure) I put it in a caddy and connected to my new Pc and tried to format it. When trying to format it the Drive letter came up as "C" which it was on the old PC, my new Pc has the same drive letter and I was afraid I would damage my new Pc so I cancelled the formatting. I went to computer - manage - Disk management, and tried to assign a new drive letter but not successfully Drive G. this flashes up intermittently. Is there anything I can do to formatt this hard drive.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

500GB but showing as 453GB that's normal should show approx 465GB the rest may be a hidden partition for tools/ image etc.

The sata ports will be on your motherboard probably 4 of them with sata0 used for your hard drive. and sata 1 for the DVD drive.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

I have just done what I wanted to do before but I did it with a 200GB HDD I was given without any operating system on it and after I gave a drive letter it was recognized straight away. I think the trouble before was that my PC was seeing 2 Operating systems, I was afraid if I had managed to formatt it would have been the wrong Hard drive. That is why I gave it up as a bad job.

Many thanks for all your efforts to guide an old "Crud" through a learning process.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

I dont suppose that you have been trying to format the wrong drive?It wont allow you to format the drive in use,just a thought.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

tullie my drive in my Pc is labelled "C" and the drive in the caddy (which has W7 on)has also the letter "C", as I have been saying it is flashing up and showing for a few seconds, not long enough to format or change the letter, and I was afraid the wrong drive would get formatted.

I have another question,the 200GB HDD (as in my reply above) is empty,can I use it as additional storage alongside my existing 500GB HDD on my PC and keep it running ie. plugged in the whole time the PC is on, sometimes all day. This caddy has no cooling system, will it overheat?

Sorry to be such a pain with what to you computer buffs must find basic procedure.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It will get warm but shouldn't overheat. I have an external 1TB drive used for backups that can be on for a couple of days at a time.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try deleting the Partition (not formatting) in Device Manager, making sure you select the right one :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I mean in computer - manage - Disk management.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

Fruitbat - Thanks for that.

lotvic - I have given up on the 500GB, it won't show long enough for me to try anything with, maybe one day!!

Many thanks for all the replies they are much appreciated.

How do I close this thread??

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......