We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC keeps closing down after a couple of hours in idle

splinternet

Likes # 0

My Win7 Cube desktop keeps closing itself down after what I guess is about a couple of hours in idle. The processor is Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz with 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Premium SP1. I have automatic Windows updates set on, and Avira free a/v.

I guess this started happening about 6 months ago. It's not my main pc so I was none too bothered at the time, thinking it was a Windows glitch which would be sorted out in a subsequent update. But now it's getting on my nerves and I want to find out the cause.

This machine is rarely used for anything other than internet browsing. When in use, it's fine - no hint of trouble.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

splinternet

Try looking in 'Control Panel' at 'Power Options'

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

When in use, it's fine - no hint of trouble.

that makes it difficult :0)

shutdowns after a few hours or during heavy loads are usually due to heat (cubes not good in this respect) worth checkinh fans grills and heatsinks are clean.

PSU starting to die cause intermitent shutdowns or again shutdowns when heavily loaded.

Like this post
spencer2004

Likes # 0

Go to power options in the control panel and make sure that it isn't set to shut down or standby after an ammount of time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room