We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

recovering data from laptop hdd

Maryp

Likes # 0

A drink got spilt on my acer laptop and fried it so it wont switch on, but the harddrive was still ok, I bought this to try to recover some of the data. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001ALPWUQ/ref=cmswrfaasp_LIVsD.0N3KKWK Its connected up to my desktop, but when I open it it shows a load of files but the files wont open and I get a 'delayed write failure' message. Any tips how I can open the fies, I back up my stuff quite regularly, so theres only really one file I'm need, I just cant get to it. The laptop was Vista, the desktop is XP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this.

Like this post
Maryp

Likes # 0

Done that, but it says 'Drive E has not been formatted, do you want to format it now?' If I format it I'll loose everything wont I? So I clicked no and it wont let me any further.

Like this post
Maryp

Likes # 0

I found drive E in disk management now, but it says its empty, so i switched it back and it still says its empty. Wheres all the stuff gone, how can i get it back now!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try recuva

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You could also try Easus Free Data Recovery Software which will allow 1 GB of recovered data. Link.

Like this post
spencer2004

Likes # 0

It sounds like some of the drink you spilled on the laptop has got into the hard drive which would make the data near impossible to recover. You could try a recovery program like others have suggested, if that dosent work then do a quick format on the hard drive and try to recover the data again. If that dosen't work your data is probably lost forever.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

A Slax linux live (Bootable) CD is the very best method of file recovery I have found to date

Boot up and log on to the linux desktop, then when you plug in your usb iomax drive, it will pop up a window where you can choose to "open in a new window" , from where you can explore the windows file system, clicking on Slax desktop "System" icon will open up a second window where you can choose "Storage Media" which shows all the drives connected to your PC choose the PC windows drive and and copy paste or drag and drop to recover them to an empty recovered files folder you created in windows before you booted to the live CD

Sounds quite complicated but it is very easy

Google for how to make a slax linux live CD

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added