We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to restore Corrupt 'word' files

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I have been given a memory stick to take a look at that is suffering a corruption problem.

The System is Win XP Pro

I contains in the main folders of jpg. files which are OK and a folder of Word files that appear to have corrupted.

When attempting to open a word file it presents as a series of rows of squares- which I seem to recall can to happen to image files if opening in a non graphic program.. Any though on how to restore theses files to word will be much appreciasted.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you right click and then click 'open with', do you get an option to use Word? If so, that should open the file.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you right click and then click 'open with', do you get an option to use Word? If so, that should open the file.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you know which Word program created them? what is the file ext? and which Word program are you using to try to open them?

Can you get any info from Rightclick and Properties?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

thnk you for that---ofcourse---right click properties

The word program will be Office 2000 that I know because the computer is known to me

However it is not my machine , so I will take the stick to its owner and do the checks there

My machine is Ubuntu so anything I might try there may not be the remedy

Till tomorrow then

J

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It could have been corrupted when transferring to the flash drive but hopefully the original will still be on the main computer. Or you could try repair my word CLICK HERE I don't know if it will work but its worth a try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...