We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Xp pc starts with chk dsk error checking

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, A friends pc starts with the chk dsk error checking every time.its like it's stuck in a loop,xp will not load.pressing f8 and selecting safe mode,still causes the pc to reboot with error checking.

Is the hdd on its way out,or just requires some maintenance ? I'm thinking about removing the hdd and using a dock so I can run chkdsk,defrag etcetc. Your thoughts please ,thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Chkdsk running on every boot.

What your friend is experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and you have to unset that bit. Each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes and check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. The problem is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type:

FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter.

This queries the drive and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: and press Enter.

The /X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing:

CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit.

Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Thank you for the detailed advice,I will be looking at he pc Sunday,I will follow your guide and hopefully the problem will be fixed,many thanks again

Like this post
manoj9585

Likes # 0

Hi, In that case you have to format your computer, some virus has been infected you computer disk.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Forget the format - virus advice unlikely a virus will cause chk doisk to be required.

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) here at kellys korner

or advice as posted above by mgmcc

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks for the help.I revived he hdd and used chkdsk via an external dock,problem seemed solved ,so I thought. The pc does not go through error checking,but switches its self then on after about 30- 60 seconds. I have removed the hdd,optical drives and gfx card,still th same. I posted another thread regarding this new proble,.could it be the mb failing or he psu ?

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...