We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SiS Control Center has stopped working - Vista Laptop

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

After my problems with it not connecting to the Internet without an Ethernet cable. I eventually did a System Restore back some 3 weeks, when it could connect wirelessly. So that now seems to be working, however another problem has presented itself...

'SiS Control Center has stopped working'

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try running the Registry option in CCleaner Scan for Issues

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

That was the first thing I did, it didn't make any difference though. I also ran CHKDSK. That didn't do anything either

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It could also be a driver issue - have you tried updating your Network Adapter via Device Manager - if it doesn't work you can always roll back.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

I followed your link, but I can't see what that or updating the Network Adapter, has to do with my problem? Being as my original problem is all behind me now. That was my being unable to connect to the Net without a cable, as now I can connect with and without a cable? So why would I want to update something that is working OK.

From other searches I've done on the Net, when talking about the 'SiS Control Center', they talk about updating the VGA driver, but I'm uncertain how to go about this?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry I misunderstood. To update your VGA driver go via Device Manager - Start -Search Box - type Device Manager - Display Adapters - expand and right click - select Update Driver Software - select Search Automatically for Updated driver Software.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

I tried that and as ever it couldn't findanything and I was unable to do a roll back, because the button is greyed out. I have since been given a link to a site where I am in the process of installing the chipset driver, which contains all the drivers I need?

I've just set a System Restore Point to be on the safe side, so toes crossed, I'm going in.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Been there done that and everything seems the way it should be. Except for one, (hopefully) small issue, before this whole episode, the 'Display Adapter' was called...'SiS Mirage 3 Graphics (Display Adapter)'. However, now it's called...'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The name can be changed but hardly worth it - see here enter link description here

The LINK relates to changing a Wireless Card/Network Adapter but it is the same.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Explanation as to why reverted to Standard VGA Graphics Adapter enter link description here

You could try updating the driver again but this time choose from the options - Browse My Computer for Driver Software instead of Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

This should revert it back to how it was.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)