We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are Sky limiting my broadband speed?

Wanderfly

Likes # 0

Hi all I'm having a battle with Sky to try and get our BB speed up. Generally sits around 0.9 but we live in an area where are only option is Sky connect where they "rent" BB from BT. They've admitted on Sky connect they limit speeds in the evening but here's the thing.... in trying to figure out what's going on I was asked to plug the router into the test socket in the master phone point (so, removing front plate etc). The router was showing a downstream connection of aroun 6mps and yet doing an online speed check it would still only deliver 1mps. Is this a function of Sky? How else could it happen? Also, when plugged back into a normal phone socket, the downstream connection only shows 1.2mps. Any ideas gratefully received! Alex

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are you connected via wireless or ethernet? Although on-line speed tests show a downstream level this can be seriously reduced when pc's are connected wirelessly.

I had a similar problem using the livebox and plugged the router into the test socket. There was an improvement but in the end BT said there was a fault in the external wiring and actually allocated a new line. The problem is, mostly, solved. There are occasions when it is obvious that traffic management is taking place.

Like this post
Wanderfly

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, sadly it's the same whether wired or wireless!

Just tried the test socket; downstream 5.8mps, online test 1.0.

To my little mind, I can only think that Sky are able to limit it through the router if it's receiving 5.8 from the test socket?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The speed shown by your router is the upper limit the router can provide not the actual speed - that appears to be 1.0.

You need to keep pestering Sky and if necessary get them to ask BT to check your line.

Do you have extension phones? If so do they all have filters?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...