We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backup failure

Brenne

Likes # 0

My Vista Home Premium PC was scheduled to backup the C drive weekly to the G drive. Since March this message appears daily: "The backup did not complete successfully. A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason. The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup is retried the error may not reoccur. (Ox 800423F3).

I have retried many times, and in response to previous replies I have checked the G drive and removed earlier backup files. Backup from scratch produces the same message. I have backed up most files to USB Pen drives, but I would like to resume regular scheduled backups. Any help would be most welcome!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I guess you are using a built-in backup program, I suggest for best results you use Acronis True Image and make Full Backups.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try chkdsk on source and destination drive partitions. May take a wee while.

How to

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Error 0x800423F3 : The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason. The writer experienced a transient error (0x800423F3)

Try one or more of the steps, one after the other.

Make sure that you have sufficient disk space on all the drives where System Restore is enabled

Type Services.msc in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy & Task Schedular Services is Running and set on Automatic.

Type eventvwr.msc /s in Start Menu Search Box & hit Enter to open the Event Viewer. Double-click on Applications & Services Logs and see if you are able to evaluate the event description or the cause of problem.

Reset the Repository. To do so follows these steps:

Boot into Safe Mode without networking and open a command prompt as administrator.

Now Type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter. This will stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service

Next go to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and rename the repository folder to repositoryold

Restart.

Now again open a command prompt as administrator, type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter.

Next Type winmgmt /resetRepository and hit Enter.

Restart.

Now see if you can create a backup manually.

Like this post
Brenne

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies. I had checked disks and disk space. I have tried to follow Fruitbat's thorough instructions: Vol Shadow Copy & Task Sched Services are Started and Automatic. In the event viewer, App & Services logs revealed thousands of Errors, some dating before the March backup failure. A few have WMI or security as source but 99% attribute source to "Bonjour Service". Very few dates have no errors,most have 20 t0 25, but 17th March has 18, 379 and over 1000 consecutive (I gave up counting). I then tried the next suggestion, and got as far as a message saying "Windows Management Instrument Service is stopping", but, alas, this was immediately followed by "Windows Management Instrument Service cannot be stopped". The command C:\Windows\system32\wbem was then rejected, presumably because I'd failed to stop WMIS. Since then I've had repeated problems even getting back to this forum. Should I give up trying?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more